Monday, September 29, 2008

Time and Leisure

Time should not be in the definition of leisure because you could have free time but not necessarily be at leisure. On days like today I feel like time should be in the definition of leisure. Today was a long day at work, not really any longer then usual, just one of those days that really move slowly. I wish once my day was over I could spend my night doing something I really enjoy but I can’t because I have to catch up on my homework. I seem to get this feeling a lot more this semester now that I am working full time and going to school part time. I don’t like having a day that is filled with activities that are extrinsically motivated but it is a part of life. I am complaining a lot more then I should be right now, the only reason I have so much to do today because I didn’t do any homework all weekend and had a great time with my friends. I went to see a pre-season habs game in a loge that I got through work. I had never been to a game in a loge before and it is incredible. It is like you are watching the game at home in your living room but it is right in front of you. There is an open bar, free food, couches, your own washroom and the game is live. It was a pre-season game so the atmosphere isn’t as crazy as it is during the season but it is still an amazing experience. The Canadiens also won the game 5-0 against the Ottawa Senators. I spent the rest of my weekend going out to eat with my friends and playing golf which was also a great leisure experience. I like playing golf a lot because it is fun being outside on a side day with your buddies but it is never really pure leisure for me. The reason being I am not quite good enough to experience flow on the golf course. I might have one or two holes where the challenge is perfectly matched with my skill level but most of the time it is too much of a challenge. I just started playing this summer and I think the reason why I keep playing is because I am improving and because of those couple of holes where I get the perfect shot I do experience flow and it is an incredible feeling. Long story short this weekend I experienced leisure because I felt I had no time constraints and I was free to do what ever activities I wanted to do. Now Monday has hit and I am extremely busy at work and with homework and feel I have no time for leisure.

No comments: